Check out the Super U. webcomic by Matt Grana!

Sunday, April 14, 2013

History 101 - Part 4



My name is Mercedes Whitman and I am a hero on a foreign world. Im the daughter of two heroes, and was trapped on this Earth during an Event that sealed the way back home forever. They call me Black Sapphire when I'm out patrolling the streets, and this is my Blog.

SATURDAY SUPER STORIES - HISTORY 101: Part 4 - "Proving Grounds"

"You don't know anything about me, creature!" Black Sapphire screamed Shrulk.

"I know enough, girl. I know you miss your mommy and daddy. I know you're weak. I know that tonight... YOU DIE!" Shrulk stomped the ground, and it cracked beneath it.

"I've already told you... I have a date tonight!" She concentrated and felt her muscle mass downshift, increasing in her legs. Her speed augmented and she lanced forward like a missile, her right hand forming a tight fist. She drove the attack into its sternum and drove the air from its lungs, her wrist screaming in protest. She managed not to cry out in pain.

Shrulk swung its left arm wildly and managed to hook her around the waist and toss her away. She spun in the air and turned her shoulder into the wall she was slamming into, her protective armor taking part of the impact. She cried out this time as her shoulder came loose from its socket.

"Sapphire, concentrate. I'm getting readings that your blood pressure is elevated, but still within range. You're not in danger of passing out yet. Pop the shoulder back in and finish this." Walters spoke calmly into the headset.

"Yessir." She regained her footing and turned, slamming the injured shoulder into the wall and crying out again as it snapped back into place.

"You okay over there girl?" Shrulk asked mockingly as it stalked towards her. "You have power inside of you... nothing like the Star Force that burns in so many of the heroes of this world... but similar... stronger... unique."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

It laughed. "We know you aren't from here. Our benefactor told us as much. A few stranglers remained after the Event... those who came through the Kaleidoscope Cascade before it was... sealed."

"You weren't there! You don't know what happened. SHE DIED TO SAVE US ALL!!" Sapphire screamed.

Shrulk shrugged. "It doesn't matter in the larger scheme of things. What happened, happened. What's done is done. I don't care. What I do care about is killing you, and moving on. The Star Force remnants that burn within me need to feed on the others, and grow stronger. It wants to whole! The Matrix demands this, and I obey."

"These larger than life jackasses always monologue. He/she is really going to try and kill you now. Finish it quickly. The police are on their way." Walters spoke quickly.

She flexed her hand and rolled her shoulder. "Okay, let's end this." Her muscles burned as she augmented her speed and strength in unison. The effect only lasted a moment but that's all she would need if her gambit was to pay off.

The first squad cars pulled up a few moments later, and found Shrulk unconscious, buried in the wreckage of a burning tow truck. It looked as if the thing had slammed into it from behind moving a few hundred miles an hour.

"No sign of that vigilante Black Sapphire, Commissioner."

The Commissioner nodded and went back to direct the scene. "We need to contact Column and get this thing locked back in the Spiral as soon as possible."

"Yes, ma'am." The officer ran off and started making calls.

Several blocks away Black Sapphire crawled into an alleyway, bleeding from several wounds, dragging her leg behind her. "Got the job done, but I'm pretty sure I ripped a few tendons when I swapped my momentum to the truck."

"It was smart hijacking the close circuit cameras to keep it in your line of sight."

"I'm glad you approve. No way I could take that thing in a straight up brawl. It's stronger than SuperDude, and stronger than the last time I fought it."

"It must have killed someone else with Star Force ability then... someone minor since we haven't reported anyone major missing lately."

"What I find odd is... since the Event, all of you guys, heroes and villains, have been retired and laying low. Why suddenly is someone this major-league acting up and drawing attention."

"That's a very good question and something we'll need to look into. Get back here as soon as you can." The comm line went dead. She sighed.

"Just another day then..."

END HISTORY 101

Next Issue: STAND-ALONE 1

No comments:

Post a Comment