Check out the Super U. webcomic by Matt Grana!

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Demonology 107 - Part 1



My name is Mercedes Whitman and I'm a hero on a foreign world. I am the daughter of two heroes, and was trapped on this Earth during an Event that sealed the way back home forever. They call me Black Sapphire when I’m out patrolling, and these are my Blogs.

“So, tell me about your father,” Sapphire leaned across the counter to stare right into the face of  ex-teacher for the Raven Institute for the Academically Gifted, Mr. Wynn Hunter Lockheart.

Wynn set his sandwich down and looked up at her. “Umm,” he spoke with a mouthful of food, “There’s not much to tell. I haven’t seen him in years, since I was a little kid, really.”

Sapphire frowned. “So you have no idea where I can find him, then?”

Wynn shook his head. “I don’t even know if he managed to stay on this side after the Cascade was sealed. He was always working cases when I was just born, and he didn't really spend that much time with me. Enough that I spent a few years in Shambala perfecting the gifts I inherited from him, but we didn't exactly have a great relationship.” 

Sapphire nodded. “What kind of gifts are we talking about here?” She asked.

“When I’m agitated or profoundly lost, spiritually I sort of "bleed" my tattoos.” Wynn stood up and removed his coat and vest and unbuttoned his white shirt. Beneath the shirt his skin was pale and there were traces of a tribal tattoo on his right shoulder. “In a way, I am a precognitive.” His eyes widened and his hands slapped down on the table and he began grunting, his breath catching as he fought the urge to scream. He slammed back into his seat and his chest was exposed, an image defined.

“Well fuck me sideways, it looks like we’re going to South America.” She smirked at him.

Demonology 107 Part 1 - “Demon Days of Summer”

He pulled the candle closer to his face and smiled at the possessed one. “I have a serious response to your ‘who are you?’ question. One hell, pardon the pun, of an origin story, if you ask me, and you sort of did,” the possessed thrashed at its bonds and snarled at him.

“It all started centuries ago on another world, in another universe, after one of my brother and I’s friends vanished. We came searching for him, and we in turn were also lost. We seemed to be spit out of the cascade randomly, and in different eras, which makes finding each other hard.”

“So anyways let me back up, slightly, to earlier tonight…”

Earlier that night

“The name’s Damien Lockheart. Someone called for an occult detective?” Damien smiled at the officers outside of the apartment building and showed his ID. The shadows seemed to hug him on the gloomy night and the two policemen were having a hard time ID'ing him from the card and his actual face. The lead officer handed his identification back to him and waved him into the building, calling up that he was on his way with a visitor in tow.

“So what can you tell me about the situation?” Damien asked the officer as they walked up the flights of stairs.

“Not much to tell. The perp, one Juan Gonzales, seems to be high on drugs and attacked his family. His father came home as he was carving symbols into the walls and floor and using blood to perform some kind of... ritual.” They continued to climb.

“Then who called me in?” Damien asked.

“The father saw some of your cases in the papers from a few months back and decided that his son would never attack anyone or do any of this, so he assumes that it must be the Devil.” 

Damien snorted in derision. “It’s never the Devil. He has better things to do. Possibly a lesser demon?” He said to himself as they ascended to the correct floor, what would have been level 13 if building had allowed it. “14th floor, ladies lingerie, music and housewares.” He said glibly. The officer smirked.

Introductions were made and Damien was left alone at the scene and the suspect.

Now

“So that brings us up to date. Sort of, anyways. There was an earthquake a while back and I got trapped in a way that really wouldn't allow me to slip out quickly, plus I was really, really drunk. Anyways I waited it out and sobered up, let me tell you though I had this friend back home that made a brew like you wouldn't believe. Turns out it took months to sweat it out of of my system. When I finally managed to get myself free, I found that I was kind of pissed off at my life. Lost a close friend and my brother and finally my mother,” he looked at the possessed reaction to that and quickly added, “Not lost as in dead, lost as in can’t find. It’s why I’m on this backwater world.”

“Why are you telling me all of this?” It asked calmly.

“Because when I send you back to Hell I want you to have one hell of a story to tell,” he rested the candle back into its position and started the incantation that would exorcise the demon and smiled as it began to wail.

TBC in Demonology Part 2


No comments:

Post a Comment